Classic Watercress Sauce
- 25g/1oz butter
- 2 small shallots, very finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, very finely chopped
- ½ glass dry white wine
- 750ml / 1.25 pint vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 150ml/¼ pint carton single cream
- 2 x 85g/3oz packs watercress, chopped
Melt the butter in a saucepan and gently fry the finely chopped shallots and celery for 2-3 minutes until tender. Add the wine, stock and bay leaf and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Remove the bay leaf, pour in the cream and chopped watercress, heat through, season to taste and serve.